Wednesday, January 2, 2013

13 books for 2013


 Christina's List


Comedy
Ukridge (Wodehouse)

Wodehouse is always funny. I trust that this novel will not disappoint.


This will be my second Dickens novel.
 
Adventure

A different Dumas, or more of the three musketeers? I will finish The Vicomte de Bragelonne and then decide. 

Treasure Island (Stevenson)


I purchased a copy of this book for $0.25--a good reason to read it even if I didn't already like Verne's writings.

Historical Fiction

I have long been curious about this story, and will now read it for myself.

Romance
The Scarlet Letter (Hawthorne)

Philosophical Novel
The Brothers Karamazov  (Dostoevsky)

I've joined a group on goodreads that reads and discusses the classics together. This month's assignment is The Brothers Karamazov. 

Theology


Many false starts later, I will actually read--and finish this book!

Ethics (Bonhoeffer)

After recently finishing a biography of Bonhoeffer, I've been keen to read some of his works.

Biography

Writing

My sister mentioned this book in her list of books to read. Being a writer myself--how could I resist?

3 comments:

John Dekker said...

Actually, I was deeply disappointed by Ukridge. I find him really annoying.

Lydia H. said...

Looks like a fabulous list!

I wouldn't classify The Scarlett Letter as a romance however. Maybe more of historical fiction. What makes it a romance? I don't read "typical" romances anyway so I don't know.

I have three classic lit. books on my list for this year. Have you read Les Miserables? Thought it would be a good one since I will be seeing the film too. :)

Christina A. said...

Lynn-- I know next to nothing about The Scarlett Letter and used Wikipedia to determine the genre. :)

I have read the abridged version of Les Miserables and it was fabulous. It is such a moving story--few books make me so sad, so angry, or so very, very happy! Someday I plan to read the unabridged version.