Sunday, September 7, 2008

Apple Butter Recipe

Making apple butter is a fall tradition at my house. It's delicious on bread, waffles, pancakes or even plain. I get hungry just writing about it! Ironic that this year I didn't lift a finger to help fill the shelves....just so happened I was away when the apple windfall came, courtesy of some generous neighbours. Here's our recipe:

Apple Butter

18 cups apple sauce (we make our own--just cook apples down, cored and quartered, in some water and put through the food mill)

3 T. cinnamon
3/4 t. cloves
3/4 t. ginger
1 T. blackstrap molasses
3-4 c. sugar (depends on sweetness of apples)

Cook in large pot over low heat until desired thickness is reached. (I like to let it simmer for several hours, to get a nice brown colour) Ladle into jelly jars and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

This is a great recipe to try if you're new to canning: there's no fiddling with candy thermometers and worrying whether it will gel!

No comments: