Saturday, September 27, 2008

One Pattern, many looks

I've been meaning to share my summer pattern alteration journey. It started out with a party dress made from Mrs. Chancey's Regency dress pattern:


I liked it so well, I thought I'd try making a blouse from it:


That was ok, but I didn't like how the front gapped when wearing modern undergarments. (I wore period stays for the party dress) Also,because of this, the waistline was too high, and tended to ride up.

So I lowered the "waist" seam about 2 inches, and dipped the pattern on the fold to get rid of some extra fabric across the bust. Problem: it made the underarm seam too high. I don't like having to be a contortionist in order to get into my clothes! On this blouse, I also omitted the back buttons, and did a drawstring instead all around instead. (Lesson learned: never rush through the last stages of a project. Don't look at my seams too close!)




So, final try. I wanted a summer dress with a more modern look. I used the skirt lining pieces instead of the normal gathered skirt-with-train. Tired of making on-paper changes to the pattern, I had my mom pinch out all the extra fabric in front on my toile (that's a practice version in cheap fabric), and I drew a new pattern piece. (also, I cut the underarm seam lower) It resulted in this:



I'm pretty happy!

3 comments:

Olivia Howard said...

I love your finished pink dress! It's very chic. The trim along the top is the finishing touch. I also love how the top has embroidery, but the bottom is plain.

Love it! Keep up the good work!
~Olivia, Miss Howard from S&S message board

Kara Dekker said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Olivia!

Kara

Sarah said...

Your summer dress turned out fabulous! I don't exactly like making toiles or muslins but it's so great when it works so well to get a great fit! I love the modern updates you did on this dress. It is very elegant and classy and a great color!